Apple today released watchOS 4.1 which gives Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) users the ability to stream Apple Music and an iCloud Music Library.
watchOS 4.1 also includes a redesigned Music app, and a new Radio app for streaming Beats 1 and other Apple Music radio stations. Beats 1 streaming is available for free, while Apple Music radio stations require a subscription to the service.
Included in watchOS 4.1:
– Stream music on Apple Watch Series 3 with Apple Music or iCloud Music Library
– Listen to live radio on Beats 1, custom stations, and expert-curated stations with the new Radio app on Apple Watch Series 3
– Use Siri to find, discover, and play songs, playlists, or albums
– Sync fitness data with GymKit-enabled treadmills, ellipticals, stair steppers, and indoor bikes for more accurate distance, pace, and energy burn metrics
– Ability to disconnect from a WiFi network in Control Center for Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular)
– Fixes an issue for Apple Watch Series 1 and later where Heart Rate notifications were delivered when the feature was not enabled
– Fixes an issue where some users did not receive Stand Reminders
– Resolves an issue where the current stand hour indicator did not appear for some users
– Resolves an issue that caused haptics to not be delivered for silent alarms
– Addresses an issue that prevented Apple Watch (1st generation) from charging for some users
– Resolves an issue where the Sunrise and Sunset complication would sometimes not appear
– Restores Mandarin as the default dictation language for China
To update your Apple Watch
1. Keep your Apple Watch on its charger until the update completes.
2. On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app, then tap the My Watch tab.
3. Tap General > Software Update.
4. Download the update. If asked for your iPhone passcode or Apple Watch passcode, enter it.
5. Wait for the progress wheel to appear on your Apple Watch. It could take from several minutes to an hour for the update to complete.
Leave your Apple Watch on its charger while the update completes. Don’t restart your iPhone or Apple Watch, and don’t quit the Apple Watch app. When the update completes, your Apple Watch will restart on its own.