“Safari is different. We don’t hate it, far from it, and for many of us it is our default web browser in every sense of the word,” William Gallagher writes for MacNN. “Yet unlike most Living With subjects, we live with Safari yet we have trysts with other browsers. Never Internet Explorer, come on. But Firefox and Chrome, yes.”
“Browsers are weirdly personal tools considering they’re made to be used by millions and don’t really have all that many customisable bits,” Gallagher writes. “Yet to those of us who use, stick with and like Safari, we would argue the reverse. Safari seems lighter to us than Firefox. It also seems lighter than Chrome.”
“The fact that Safari is just there, is the default browser unless you change a preference on your Mac is certainly a big advantage to Apple. If the majority of Mac users are using Safari then it’s down to how it’s the default more than it is down to people making a positive choice to use it over the alternatives,” Gallagher writes. “We make a positive choice, though. It is also our default in the sense that if we need to read something on the web, it is Safari that we want to use.”
Tons more in the full review – recommended – here.
MacDailyNews Take: 95% of our time is spent in Safari vs. other browsers. The other 5% is testing other browsers’ features and site rendering.