With the Apple Watch, Apple Watch Sport, and Apple Watch Edition, the specific combinations currently seen on Apple’s website are pre-stocked combos for launch.
However, you will be able to custom-build the exact Watch/Band combinations you desire.
For athletes like runners, cyclists, etc. weight is definitely a consideration, so we’ve figured out the lightest possible Watch / Apple Band combo.
It’s the Apple Watch Sport (25g for 38mm, 30g for 42mm) with Black Classic Buckle (leather, stainless) (16g for 38mm, 19g for 42mm).
• 38mm Apple Watch Sport (25g) with Black Classic Buckle (16g): 41g
• 42mm Apple Watch Sport (30g) with Black Classic Buckle (19g): 49g
The Apple Watch Sport costs $349/$399 (38mm/42mm) and the Black Classic Buckle costs $149 for both sizes, so the lightest possible possible Watch / Apple strap/band combo costs $498 in 38mm (41g total) or $548 in 42mm (49g total).
Of course, the leather would absorb sweat and also discolor over time whereas the fluoroelastomer would not, so let’s look at that combo:
Band weights for the fluoroelastomer Sport Bands actually vary by color with Black being the lightest (38mm/42mm):
• 47g/51g – White
• 44g/48g – Blue
• 43g/48g – Green
• 42g/46g – Pink
• 37g/40g – Black
Now, choosing the fluoroelastomer Sport Band saves $149 and offers a material impervious to sweat, but there’s a tradeoff in weight gain.
As runners (who also like to have a bit of uniqueness), we’re leaning towards either one of the following custom configs:
• 62g total – 38mm Apple Watch Sport in Silver with the 38mm Black Sport Band or the 38mm Black Sport Band with Space Gray Stainless Steel Pin ($349 + $49 = $398 total)
• 70g total – 42mm Apple Watch Sport in Silver with the 42mm Black Sport Band or the 38mm Black Sport Band with Space Gray Stainless Steel Pin ($399 + $49 = $448 total)
To save $49, go with the stock launch configs:
• 62g total – 38mm Apple Watch Sport in Space Gray with 38mm Black Sport Band ($349)
• 70g total – 42mm Apple Watch Sport in Space Gray with 42mm Black Sport Band ($399)
Remember, third-party bands for Apple Watch are likely to proliferate like rabbits, so expect to see some ultralight specialty bands for your Watch in the not too distant future.
UPDATE: 10:30pm EDT: Corrected the weight total for the 42mm Apple Watch Sport (30g) with Black Classic Buckle (19g). Thanks, reesmaxwell.