Millennial Media has released their MobileMix mobile device index report for March 2011:
• Apple, the leading device manufacturer on our network, represented 32% of the Top 15 Manufacturers impression share in March, a 14% increase month-over-month (Chart A). Apple iPhone grew 17% month-over-month. This growth is tied to the increase of the Verizon iPhone impressions, which accounted for 8.2% of the U.S. iPhone impressions (Chart B).
• Samsung is the number two device manufacturer in the Top 15 Manufacturers ranking for the second consecutive month (Chart A). Samsung had four phones in the Top 20 Mobile Phones ranking in March with a combined impression share of 6% (Chart B).
• HTC maintained the number three position in the Top 15 Manufacturers ranking, representing 10% of the impression share in March (Chart A). HTC Evo moved to the number three position on the Top 20 Mobile Phone rankings and grew 10% month-over-month (Chart B).
• RIM devices showed strong growth in March. The BlackBerry Curve reclaimed the number two position in the Top 20 Mobile Phones ranking and the BlackBerry Torch grew 23% month-over-month (Chart B).
• Motorola devices represented four of the Top 20 Mobile Phones with a combined impression share of 6% in March (Chart B).
• All Android devices combined represented 22% of the Top 20 Mobile Phone impression share and accounted for 14 of the Top 20 Phones in March (Chart B).
• Connected Devices increased 21% month-over-month in March and accounted for 17% of the Smartphone, Feature Phone & Connected Device Impression Share (Chart A).
• Android continues to be the leading Smartphone OS on our network for the fourth consecutive month, with a 48% impression share in March (Chart B).
• iOS grew 11% month-over-month and represented 31% of the impression share of the Smartphone OS Mix. This growth is largely tied to the growth of the Verizon iPhone on our network (Chart B).
• iOS applications represented 47% of the Application Platform Mix, ranked by revenue, in March. iPad application revenue doubled month-over-month contributing to this lead. (Chart A).
• Gaming applications reclaimed the number one spot as the leading Application Category on our network, representing 37% of the application revenue in March (Chart B).
• Shopping & Retail applications experienced a 40% growth month-over-month. This revenue growth is largely tied to the increase of multi-platform retail brand apps where customers can research and shop on their mobile device (Chart B).
Mobile OS Quick Stats:
• Apple impressions grew 29% month-over-month
• Android impressions grew 23% month-over-month
• RIM impressions grew 14% month-over-month
• Symbian impressions grew 4% month-over-month
• Apple iPad impressions grew 7% month-over-month
Millennial Media’s Mobile Mix™ reports key advertising trends with a focus on mobile manufacturers, devices, operating systems, connected devices and more. Millennial Media’s Mobile Mix™ is in complement to the Scorecard for Mobile Advertising Reach and Targeting (S.M.A.R.T.)™ report, which delivers monthly insights on advertising performance and engagement. Both reports are based on actual campaign and network data from Millennial Media, Inc. Millennial Media partners with major carriers, media networks, and top-tier publishers to deliver the largest data set of any third-party U.S. mobile advertising network. As such, Millennial Media is uniquely capable of reporting and analyzing the richest sets of carrier, device and campaign data collected over billions of monthly ad requests. Elevating and driving the whole mobile ecosystem forward is central to the company’s mission.
Source: Millennial Media, Inc.