“Apple Computer has selected dual-core Xeon server processors from Intel Corp. to power its next wave of high-performance professional Mac Pro desktops,” Kasper Jade reports for AppleInsider.
Jade reports, “The 64-bit chips — formerly code-named “Woodcrest” and officially unveiled by Intel last month as the Xeon 5100 series — pack a 4MB L2 cache and run at speeds of up to 3.0GHz on a 1333MHz front-side bus.”
“Though the chips are almost architecturally identical to Intel’s upcoming line of Core 2 Duo Extreme desktop processor (code-named “Conroe”), they differ in that they’ll utilize the company’s new Land Grid Array (LGA) 771 socket and also allow for multiple processor configurations,” Jade reports.
“Apple plans to take advantage of Woodcrest’s multi-processor capabilities by offering versions of its upcoming Mac Pro professional desktops that will sport two of the dual core chips, people familiar with the Mac maker’s plans have said. The new systems, which will succeed the Power Mac G5 at the forefront of the company’s product matrix, will also be available in a single processor configuration for a substantially reduced cost, those people have since revealed,” Jade reports.
“Apple chief executive Steve Jobs is expected to showcase the new computers early next month as he demonstrates Mac OS X 10.5 “Leopard” — the company’s next-generation operating system — during the annual Apple World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC) in San Francisco, Calif.,” Jade reports.
More in the full article here.
• Introducing the super-fast, blogging, podcasting, do-everything-out-of-the-box MacBook. Starting at just $1099.
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
Related MacDailyNews articles:
PC Mag: ‘Top Ten’ list of things to know about Intel’s new Core 2 Duo processors – July 07, 2006
RUMOR: Apple to unveil ‘Mac Pro’ with new enclosure design, Intel Core 2 Duo at WWDC next month – July 03, 2006