“The co-founder, chairman and ‘chief software architect’ of Microsoft, the world’s largest software company, would deny it on his life, but the one person Bill Gates admires most for his geeky prowess—and might have chosen to succeed him as software architect—is almost certainly Steve Jobs,” The Economist asserts.
“Unfortunately, Mr Jobs, the co-founder of Apple Computer and victim of Mr Gates’s predatory business instincts during the 1980s and 1990s, cannot be considered available, since he is busy leading Apple’s renaissance as a builder of gadgets and software that, in the opinion of his fans, put Microsoft to shame. So Mr Gates spent years courting the geek he admires second most, a software pioneer named Ray Ozzie,” The Economist reports.
Full article here.
Nearly every article about Gate’s departure uses the phrase, “the world’s largest software company.” Note that they never write “the world’s best software company,” for that would be Apple Computer, Inc.
Back in the early days, “We all bought Macs. Bill bought a Mac. Bill was using a Mac. Bill was using a Macintosh. Not a PC,” said venture capitalist Ann Winblad, Bill Gates’ old girlfriend, as quoted by Michael Gross in “My Generation” published by Cliff Street Books/HarperCollins. And it wasn’t just the Macintosh that Bill Gates admired. In the same book, Winblad recalled being present with him when Steve Jobs was speaking, and that Gates had confessed to her: “Some day I’ll be as good a public speaker as he is. How do I do that? I’m going to work on that.”
Gates never got anywhere close.
• Introducing the super-fast, blogging, podcasting, do-everything-out-of-the-box MacBook. Starting at just $1099.
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.