“Apple Computer has begun assembling plans and aligning suppliers for a redesign of its iPod nano digital music player that will go on sale this fall,” Prince McLean and Kasper Jade report for AppleInsider. “Industry contacts with a solid track record of predicting Apple’s future music directions say the company, like last year, is shooting to introduce the player in September. While any comment on the device’s external design aesthetics would be premature at this time, early engineering plans from the iPod maker signal a ‘significant internal redesign,’ these contacts say.”
“With the jury out on whether an Intel chip will make its way into a future iPod nano, analysts from WR Hambrecht have said that components from Synaptics appear to be a lock. In a report sent to clients earlier this month, analyst Daniel Amir said channel checks showed Synaptics beating out Cypress Semiconductor to supply click-wheel components for a new nano that is ‘likely to be released this fall.’ In his report, Amir estimated the deal could add as much as $10 million to Synaptics’ revenue in the second half of the year — suggesting Apple plans to ramp nano production to all-time highs,” McLean and Jade report.
More in the full article here.
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
PortalPlayer announces product not selected by Apple for iPod use – April 19, 2006