“Avadis ‘Avie’ Tevanian, Apple Computer’s Chief Technology Officer, is leaving the firm to ‘pursue other interests,’ the company confirmed Monday. Tevanian, who came to Apple in 1997 from his previous post working for Steve Jobs at NeXT, played a key role in developing Mac OS X, the company’s widely adored operating system,” Alan Saracevic reports for The San Francisco Chronicle.
“Although Apple wouldn’t say what Tevanian’s plans are, Vice President of Worldwide Corporate Communications Katie Cotton wrote in an e-mail that, ‘He plans to take some time off in the interim. He hasn’t left yet, though. His last official day is March 31,'” Saracevic reports.
Full article here.
MacDailyNews Note: Tevanian was an important figure in the development of the Mach kernel at Carnegie Mellon and later worked for NeXT Computer and then at Apple, both times brought into the firms by Steve Jobs. At Apple, he was the lead in the development of Mac OS X.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
Avie Tevanian named Chief Software Technology Officer of Apple – July 08, 2003