“Several Apple employees have collectively filed a patent request for a wide touchpad on a noteboook computer, where the palm rest areas of the portable would formed a said touchpad,” Prince McLean reports for AppleInsider. “In the filing made on August 25, 2004 and published by the United States Patent and Trademark Office on Thursday, Apple employees describe several examples of a ‘wide touchpad and keyboard’ that would allow a user to interact with the display screen and enter data.”
“One description says the wide touchpad may be a cursor control device having the capabilities of conventional computer mouse, such as the ability to point, drag, tap, and double tap objects on a graphical user interface, as well as more general purposes such as scrolling, panning, zooming, and rotating images on display screen,” McLean reports. “The patent filing — which is credited to several known Apple employees such as Bas Ording and Bartley Andre — goes on to list dozens of possible behaviors for a wide touchpad, including a device that would support ‘multiple or two-handed input.'”
More info in the full article here.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
Related MacDailyNews articles:
Video of how Apple’s rumored touch-screen Tablet Mac could work – February 13, 2006
Apple patent application for ‘Visual expander’ for touchscreen display revealed – February 06, 2006
Apple applies for more touch-sensitive display tablet patents – February 02, 2006
Apple researched and developed ‘universal wireless touch-screen remote’ patent filing reveals – July 06, 2005