“Google Inc., trying to extend its dominance of Internet search into the market for videos, said it made a mistake with the design of an online store,” Bloomberg News reports. “Shows for sale weren’t well promoted on the home page of Google Video, which was introduced earlier this month, Vice President Marissa Mayer said in an interview in Munich, Germany. That left customers unable to tap easily into hits such as CBS’ top-rated ‘CSI: Crime Scene Investigation’ and reality show ‘Survivor.'”
“‘We made a big mistake,’ Mayer, who oversees all of Google’s search products, said Tuesday. ‘You can’t come out and launch a product like Google Video and say ‘CSI’ and ‘Survivor’ are there if they’re not on the home page.’ The video service has ‘fallen far short’ of competitors such as Apple Computer Inc.’s iTunes music and video offering, said Allen Weiner, an analyst at Stamford, Conn.-based Gartner Inc. ‘What Apple has done with the iTunes store sets the bar really high,'” Bloomberg News reports. “Google video won’t let consumers play copy-protected shows on portable video devices, including the iPod or laptops that aren’t connected to the Internet, Pogue said. That means they can’t be viewed on long plane or car journeys. He also said the site’s design is ‘incredibly bare-bones and empty-looking.’ Google changed the home page Tuesday to make it easier to find clips, Mayer said.”
Full article here.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iMac and MacBook Pro owners: Apple USB Modem. Easily connect to the Internet using dial-up service. $49.00.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
AP: Google Video Store not ready for prime time, doesn’t compare well to Apple’s iTunes Store – January 21, 2006
Review: ‘Google and CBS release embarrassment of a video store’ – January 12, 2006
Analyst: Google Video Store’s proprietary DRM a sign of Google’s ‘arrogance’ – January 07, 2006