Opera Software today permanently removed the ad banner and licensing fee from its award-winning Web browser. The ad-free, full-featured Opera browser is now available for download – completely free of charge – at http://www.opera.com.
“Today we invite the entire Internet community to use Opera and experience Web browsing as it should be,” said Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software in the press release. “Removing the ad banner and licensing fee will encourage many new users to discover the speed, security and unmatched usability of the Opera browser.”
Opera was previously available free of charge with an ad banner. Users had the option of paying a licensing fee to remove the ad banner and receive premium support.
“Opera fans around the globe made this day possible,” said von Tetzchner in the release. “As we grow our userbase, our mission and our promise remain steadfast: we will always offer the best Internet experience to our users – on any device. Today this mission gains new ground.”
The Opera browser is available in 20 languages. The complete download is less than 4MB.
Opera features include:
• Navigate quickly using intuitive mouse gestures and browser tabs
• Start from where your last browsing session ended or save your entire session
• Access downloaded files quickly with the transfer manager
• Protect against identity theft and phishing with integrated security features
• Speak up: surf the Web hands-free using voice commands
• Shop Amazon, browse Ebay, and search the Web with Google right from the address bar
• Set reminders for Web pages you visit with the notes feature
The current version of Opera (8.5) is compatible with Mac OS X (10.2 and above).
More info and download link here.
Opera browser free for 24-hours to celebrate 10th anniversary – August 31, 2005