Skype, the Global Internet Telephony Company, today announced the availability of its feature-rich Skype for Mac OS X Version 1.0 software application, enabling high-quality voice calling via the Internet for multiple computer platforms. Skype is the leading VOIP-category product worldwide, with more than 23 million registered users, and more than 130,000 new users per day. Skype products for Linux, Mac OS X, Windows and Pocket PC platforms are free and available for download at http://www.skype.com.
Previously available in beta versions, Skype for Mac OS X software includes free Skype to Skype calling and conference calling for up to 5 participants, cross-platform communications, rich presence and personalization features, and the pre-pay SkypeOut service, allowing users to call any landline or mobile worldwide for the price of a local call.
“We encourage all Mac OS X users to experience the cost and quality gains with version 1.0 Skype software,” said Niklas Zennström, Skype CEO and co-founder. “We thank all those who downloaded the beta products as we were developing; your support has been fantastic. We will remain committed to innovation and will continue to expand platform choice.”
Skype for Mac OS X V 1.0 features include:
– Skype’s Global Directory – the user-built global Skype contacts directory with numerous search options and an easy add-a-contact tool
– Instant messaging – cross platform messaging ability
– Conference calling – instantly create a free 5-party conference call
– Logs – reference or discard call and message history
– Presence – easily manage availability and view status of contacts
– Customization – MyPicture image display, ring tones, call alert options
– File transfer –send and receive files via Skype
– Mobility – sign in to a Skype account anywhere in the world
– SkypeOut –pre-pay to call traditional phones around the world, at local rates
– Multiple Skype accounts on one computer
– End-to-end encryption for superior privacy
Skype for Mac OS X 1.0 requires a Macintosh computer with Mac OS X v10.3 or newer, a G3, G4, or G5 processor, a minimum 400 MHz processor, 128 MB RAM, 20 MB free hard drive disk space, sound card, speakers, microphone and an Internet connection.
More information and download link here.