“Apple last week asked a federal magistrate in New York to extend a court filing deadline until after the government decides whether it can unlock a different iPhone in a similar case, documents revealed,” Gregg Keizer reports for Computerworld.

“Because of the abrupt about-turn in a different case a week ago — the DOJ told a California federal magistrate that it had a lead on another way to crack the iPhone used by the terrorist Syed Rizwan Farook, and might not need Apple’s assistance in that instance — a lawyer for Apple argued that it would be ‘highly inefficient’ to go forward with the New York case,” Keizer reports, “until the government report[s] the results of the new technique on April 5.”

Keizer reports, “Zwillinger asked a New York magistrate to postpone a March 31 filing deadline in the case until after the Federal Bureau of Investigation provides its status report on the alternate approach to gain access to data on Farook’s iPhone.”

Read more in the full article here.

MacDailyNews Take: If the San Bernardino iPhone is hacked, Apple should be told how it was done, so they can close that security hole and safeguard iPhone users’ privacy.

SEE ALSO:
U.S. Feds: New judge must force iPhone unlock, overturning ruling that favored Apple – March 8, 2016
U.S. government appeals Apple win in Brooklyn iPhone encryption battle – March 7, 2016
The FBI’s case against Apple got kneecapped in Brooklyn: The judges rebuke couldn’t have been stronger – March 1, 2016
U.S. Magistrate Judge: The U.S. government cannot force Apple to unlock an iPhone in New York drug case – February 29, 2016
Apple: The law already exists that protects us from U.S. government demands to hack iPhone – February 26, 2016