“President Trump has sharply criticised the European Union over the record €4.3 billion ($5.1bn) anti-trust fine levied [against Google] earlier this week,” Graeme Burton reports for V3. “The announcement of the findings had been due in June [but] was put back to prevent it from over-shadowing Trump’s state visit to Europe earlier this month.”
“In a tweet, Trump claimed that the fine was proof that the terms of trade between the EU and US were unfair: ‘I told you so! The European Union just slapped a Five Billion Dollar fine on one of our great companies, Google. They truly have taken advantage of the U.S., but not for long!'” Burton reports. “The case will almost certainly come up between President Trump and European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker in a meeting next week.”
I told you so! The European Union just slapped a Five Billion Dollar fine on one of our great companies, Google. They truly have taken advantage of the U.S., but not for long!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 19, 2018
Read more in the full article here.
MacDailyNews Take: The EC fined Google because Google:
• has required manufacturers to pre-install the Google Search app and browser app (Chrome), as a condition for licensing Google’s app store (the Play Store);
• made payments to certain large manufacturers and mobile network operators on condition that they exclusively pre-installed the Google Search app on their devices; and
• has prevented manufacturers wishing to pre-install Google apps from selling even a single smart mobile device running on alternative versions of Android that were not approved by Google (so-called “Android forks”).
Google clearly breached EU antitrust rules as follows:
• Illegal tying of Google’s search and browser apps
• Illegal payments conditional on exclusive pre-installation of Google Search
• Illegal obstruction of development and distribution of competing Android operating systems
On, BTW, here’s what Google’s Android looked like before and after Apple’s iPhone:
And, here’s what cellphones looked like before and after Apple’s iPhone:
People who buy Android phones and tablets reward thieves.
Why Google owes the European Union $5 billion – July 18, 2018
EU hits Google with record €4.34 billion fine for abusing market dominance – July 18, 2018