Apple’s Lisa Jackson, former U.S. EPA chief, to take on expanded role

“Lisa Jackson, the former chief of the Environmental Protection Agency, will take on an expanded role at Apple Inc, overseeing policy and social initiatives as well as being the company’s top environmental executive, the company announced on Tuesday,” Julia Love reports for Reuters.

“Jackson, who joined Apple in 2013 after leaving the EPA, will now serve as vice president of environment, policy and social initiatives, Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook wrote in a memo to employees,” Love reports.

Lisa Jackson, Apple's Vice President, Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives
Lisa Jackson, Apple’s Vice President, Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives
There’s much more to do, not just on the environment, but on other issues we value such as human rights, education, and accessibility of our products to those with physical or developmental challenges. Apple can and will play an important role in each of these areas. – Apple CEO Tim Cook in memo to employees

Love reports, “In her new role, Jackson will manage government affairs for the tech giant and integrate efforts across the company, Cook wrote.”

Read more in the full article here.

MacDailyNews Take:

Some people have said that I shouldn’t get involved politically because probably half our customers are Republicans… But I do point out that there are more Democrats than Mac users so I’m going to just stay away from all that political stuff because that was just a personal thing.Steve Jobs when questioned about offering to advise U.S. presidential candidate John Kerry on advertising in 2004


  1. Steve Jobs was very much steering clear from politics, and Tim Cook is steering clear of it in the same way. Neither of them ever endorsed any political party or candidates, and avoided commenting on any politicians, either campaigning or sitting.

    They both, however, had clear personal views on social issues, being aware that Apple has great social responsibility, and as the head of Apple they do as well. This is why Steve championed (and Apple always had) full benefits for all (including same-sex partners, long before it was legal for them to marry), environmental responsibility in manufacturing, as well as all other progressive initiatives that put Apple ahead of other companies. And as long as the company is making record profits and shareholders are happy, there should be no reason anyone would question the relative cost of these initiatives.

    1. Amazing good can come from companies that act from a position of morality, rather than a position of religiosity. Apple has much opportunity to do good in the world.

        1. 99% of climate scientists disagree with you. (The other 1% being shills paid by the Koch Brothers, Rupert Murdoch and other benefactors of the conservative movement.)

  2. For Tim’s next act, he will hire Ted Kacynski, the Unabomber, to take over Public Relations. Kaczynski was noted for his early passionate writing about the environment in his Manifesto. He demonstrated such beauty in his prose, and such commitment to saving the planet, that he was forced to send bombs to blow up people who worked for American industry. Kaczynski like Lisa Jackson detests American industry and as such is a perfect fit for the new Apple.

Reader Feedback

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.