“The criminal investigation into the purported theft of an apparent iPhone prototype came at the request of Apple Inc., officials said Tuesday,” Mary Duan reports for The Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal.
“Investigators said they have identified and interviewed the person who took the phone from the Gourmet Haus Staudt on March 18 after it was left there by Apple engineer Gray Powell following a birthday celebration,” Duan reports. “Officials were unable to tell the Business Journal whether that person, whose name has not been released, was the same person who eventually sold the phone to tech Web site Gizmodo.”
“So far, nobody has been charged with a crime,” Duan reports. “‘We’re still not saying it’s a crime,’ said San Mateo County Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe. ‘The investigation has contacted as many segments of the people involved in this situation, including the person who took the phone from the German restaurant. The police know who he is and they have talked to him.'”
Duan reports, “Wagstaffe said that an outside counsel for Apple, along with Apple engineer Powell, called the District Attorney’s office on Wednesday or Thursday of last week to report a theft had occurred and they wanted it investigated.”
Read more in the full article here.