Millennial Media said today that mobile Connected Devices like Apple’s iPad and Sony PSP displayed more than 20 percent of the ad networks’ ad impressions in March, a trend that could have far reaching impact on mobile advertising as these devices grow more popular.
Millennial connects brand advertisers with the largest mobile media audience in the U.S., according to IDC. The company’s mobile advertising network reaches 83 percent of mobile users in the U.S. and it reported that its brand business grew by more than 750 percent last year, while the performance business grew almost 172 percent.
“As the largest independent mobile advertising platform in the U.S., we support every major operating system and device. In March, one out of every five ad impressions on our network were seen on a mobile connected device, and not a mobile phone,” said Erin (Mack) McKelvey, SVP of Marketing, Millennial Media, in the press release. “We have reported monthly device trends from our network for a year, but given the proliferation of smartphones and connected devices, we felt that it was now time to spotlight this data for industry-watchers who are trying to understand the role of devices and consumer behavior in the overall mobile market.”
Highlights from the March report include:
• U.S. Device impression data breakout: Smartphones (45%), Feature Phones (34%), and Connected Devices (21%).
• Apple’s OS remains the leading OS on the network with 70 percent of U.S. Smartphone impressions; Apple’s OS has maintained the leading OS position since Millennial began reporting the network’s OS mix in August 2009.
• RIM remained the second largest U.S. OS for the eighth consecutive month with a 14% share of impressions; and four devices in the Top 20 Mobile Phones list.
• amsung remained embedded as the second largest manufacturer, with four devices in the Top 20.
• Leading the U.S. Carrier Mix once again in March, Wi-Fi increased slightly for the third consecutive month with 27% share of impressions, followed by Verizon and AT&T.
• Smartphones accounted for 40% of the Top 20 Mobile Phones, with the Blackberry Tour, Palm Pixi and HTC’s MyTouch Magic new to the list.
On April 9, 2010, the company released its iPad SDK and PadMedia Creative Suite for developers. The PadMedia creatives provide increased user engagement opportunities for advertisers, and; therefore, increased monetization opportunities for developers.
More info here.
Source: Millennial Media, Inc.
[Attribution: Electronista via moccoNews. Thanks to MacDailyNews Reader “James W.” for the heads up.]