Magellan today announced its Magellan RoadMate 2010 North America turn-by-turn navigation app is now available from the App Store for US$79.99. Magellan also announced the introduction of a new vehicle mounting cradle for the iPhone and iPod touch devices that will be available in December for an MSRP of USD$129.99. The Premium Car Kit offers charging capabilities and provides a car mounting and charging solution for the iPhone device. The cradle adds a GPS receiver for improved navigation accuracy, an amplified speaker for crystal clear directions and enhanced phone call clarity, and Bluetooth to enable hands-free calling.
“The Magellan RoadMate App provides users instant access to Magellan’s innovative, easy-to-use OneTouch interface, including: vehicle and pedestrian routing, in-app music control, native address book integration and turn-by-turn guidance including Text-to-Speech, all in one integrated and unique navigation experience,” said Peggy Fong, chief operating officer for Magellan, in the press release.
Magellan RoadMate App features Magellan’s exclusive OneTouch user menu, allowing users to store addresses and personalized searches on one convenient page and easily access them with a single tap. Additionally, the app gives drivers the freedom to choose from a list of route options such as fastest time, shortest distance, most use of highways, or least use of highways to customize the navigation experience.
Other features of the Magellan RoadMate App include:
• Preloaded: App and maps are stored on the iPhone or iPod touch devices, allowing navigation to continue even when no cellular coverage is available.
• Turn-By-Turn Guidance: Announces maneuvers prior to the turn, enabling users to keep their eyes on the road.
• Text-to-Speech: Hear spoken street names with every voice direction to have a clear understanding of when to make the next turn while you keep your eyes on the road.
• Millions of Points of Interest (POIs): Users have access to 6 million POIs at the touch of their fingertips, including gas stations, restaurants, ATMs, emergency services, shopping and other destinations.
• Oversized Keyboard with QuickSpell: QuickSpell with SmartCity search lets you enter addresses in a few touches by narrowing your location search.
• 3D landmarks: Realistic 3D renderings of key landmarks show the way with stunning visual cues.
• Highway Lane Assistance: See realistic views of highway signs with clearly displayed lane arrows to help navigate complicated interchanges by positioning the driver in the proper lane for upcoming maneuvers.
• Pedestrian Mode: Allows users to easily navigate locations on foot.
• Find Your Car: Automatically stores your parking location so you can easily find your way back to your car.
• In-App Music Control: Users can control their music directly from the application so they never have to leave the app to access their music.
• Native Address/Contact Book: With the touch of a button, users can simply navigate to destinations from stored addresses in the device’s address book.
• NAVTEQ On-Board: Map data provided by NAVTEQ, the world leader in digital mapping data and content.
The Magellan RoadMate App (U.S. & Canada maps) is available for an introductory price of $79.99 from Apple’s iTunes App Store here.
Source: MiTAC Digital Corp.