Parallels today announced the availability of Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac. This is the latest version of the number 1 Mac system utility, currently enabling more than 2 million users to run Windows, Linux and other operating systems side-by-side with Mac OS X. According to performance research conducted by Crimson Consulting Group, Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac performs 22% faster than the nearest Windows-on-Mac competitor in standard productivity testing of Windows 7 64-bit on a MacBook Pro. In addition, version 5 is up to 300% faster for virtual machine operations than the previous version. For 3D and graphics performance, tested under the industry standard 3Dmark 2006 Professional test suite the new version performs up to 7 times better. Users can test this for themselves with a free trial from http://www.parallels.com/desktop.
“As the OS battles rage between Microsoft, Apple and Linux, we provide a completely customizable solution that enables people to use the applications they need with the fastest performance available, regardless of the operating system,” said Serguei Beloussov, CEO of Parallels, in the press release. “Parallels continues to build on its proven track record of innovation, responding to our customers by providing the fastest, smartest and most powerful Windows-on-Mac experience available.”
There are more than 70 new features in Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac, many of which give users the flexibility to work in the way they want. Users can choose how much or little Windows they want to see, from running Windows in Full Screen mode where Windows completely covers the Mac user interface to the new Crystal view mode which makes Windows completely disappear. Users can even get a Mac-like experience in their Windows applications, using the intuitive Apple Trackpad Gestures technology to pinch, swipe, and rotate as they do in Mac applications.
“Ideally PC emulation should be transparent and invisible, and Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac goes a very long way towards this,” said beta tester and executive in the mining industry Nic Clift. ” The thing that strikes me most about Parallels Desktop for Mac is that it is trouble-free, consistent with what I expect of Mac software, and has proved to be a remarkably convenient and easy way for me to maintain as much access to the world of Windows as I want. Parallels works as neatly with Boot Camp as it does when running seamlessly in the background, along with my everyday Mac software. If anything, version 5 has made Windows emulation even more transparent and trouble-free and unless one wants to get involved with the details of set-up it is easy to forget that it is even running.”
Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac introduces more than 70 new features and enhancements, offering a computing experience that is:
– Full support for Aero in Windows Vista and 7 through Windows WDDM driver, including Aero Flip 3D
– Virtual machine size automatically optimized for best performance with Parallels Compressor
– Improved performance for Linux guest OS from KVM paravirtualization
“The excellent 3D graphics performance of Parallels Desktop for Mac makes it Autodesk’s preferred Mac virtualization software for customers who choose to run AutoCAD or our other design and engineering software on the Mac,” said Andrew Mackles, Director of AutoCAD Product Management at Autodesk, in the press release. “We are excited about the further graphics enhancements in Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac and the potential to improve the customer experiences.”
– A more Mac-like experience in their Windows applications through Apple Trackpad Gestures technology (pinch, swipe, rotate and more), horizontal scrolling and the application of Full Screen active corners and curl page effect
– Copy & Paste fidelity for formatted text and complete layouts including images, even between Windows and Linux guest OSs
– Freedom and flexibility to run Windows and Mac applications across multiple monitors
• More Powerful
– 7 times better graphic performance for games and 3D applications than the previous version with Direct X 9Ex with Shader Model 3 and OpenGL 2.1 support
– Superior graphics performance for Linux guests through OpenGL 2.1 support
– Full hardware resources can be utilized with support for 8 virtual CPUs, 64 bit Windows and Snow Leopard Server 64 bit
– Easily move PCs (including Windows 7) and 3rd party virtual machines to the Mac with the enhanced Parallels Transporter
Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac is available in English, German, French, Italian and Spanish starting today- Additional localized versions will soon be available in Chinese, Czech, Hungarian, Japanese, Polish and Russian in the coming weeks
The standard retail price (SRP) of Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac is $79.99, including $175 worth of additional software: Parallels Internet Security 2009 by Kaspersky (1 year subscription); Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 (Disk Management); Acronis True Image 11 Home (Backup and Recovery Solutions).
More info about Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac here.