Analyst’s checks show shortages of Apple’s iPod as sales remain strong amid tough economy

Likely leaving BusinessWeek’s Arik Hessledahl flummoxed, as is usually the case lately, The Associated Press is reporting that “The tough economy seems to be having little affect on iPod sales.”

“Kaufman Bros. analyst Shaw Wu said in a note to investors his checks show Apple’s popular music player has joined the iPhone in the sold-out category,” AP reports.

“He said wait times at online retailer for the $229 8 gigabyte and $299 16 gigabyte iPod touch models are three to five weeks,” AP reports. “Wu said certain retailers, including Best Buy, Target and Wal-Mart, are even seeing spot shortages of the iPod tano, which has $149 and $199 models, and iPod shuffle, which sell for $49 or $69.”

AP reports, “He expects Apple to sell 21 million iPods in the quarter, up 90 percent from the previous three months, but down about 5 percent from the year-ago period.”

MacDailyNews Take: Add in the iPhones that Apple will sell — which each contain an iPod, even if their product name doesn’t — and “iPod sales” will be up YOY. That might seem like a very basic concept. Nevertheless, it’s one that certain Ivy League-educated writers and many Wall Street “analysts” can’t seem to grasp – or, more likely, prefer to ignore, as it doesn’t suit their purposes at the time.

Full article here.

[Thanks to MacDailyNews Reader “JES42” for the heads up.]


  1. MDN:

    You can’t really phrase it that way, since it obviously sounds way too apologetic towards Apple.

    However, they could say mention that the iPhone has somewhat cannibalised iPod’s market and if that is taken into account, Apple continues to grow its dominance in the market space.

  2. Apple should have sat around doing nothing for the last decade and then driven on over to DC for a $25 billion handout. They’d have $500 million more in the bank than they do now.

    B. Hussein Obama: Let’s spread the wealth around (until there’s no wealth left to spread around).

  3. I must join the chorus of voices here and admit, somewhat sheepishly, that I, TOO, know absolutely nothing about anything. Ignorance is bliss, and revealing it to one and all in a voice resplendent with hosannahs is ecstasy. Ah, come sweet oblivion.

  4. Besides, the only wealth spreading will be done within the 5% of the American population,since the remaining 95% earn less than quarter of a million dollars per year. Most of them haven’t earned that much money since the new millennium began.

  5. The Black Berry Storm also out sold… all the 30 devices on store for all the US were sold 1 weekend….
    Also, it account for almost 30% increase in subscribers … from 9 subscriber now there are 3 new.

  6. No, it’s not the top 5% that are the engine that run this country (some of them do the opposite, some not). Quit pretending that there are no other productive people besides those 5%. And quit pretending you have the slightest idea what “collectivist” or other words mean as well. You really haven’t the slightest notion of what runs the country, and you asinine homophobia further proves it.

Reader Feedback

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.