No cables are required to transmit USB 2.0 signals up to 100 feet in distance with the new Wireless USB Extender from Gefen.
This sender/receiver system delivers cable-free USB connectivity and is designed to offer a useful, plug and play method of removing USB devices from the computer station. It is effective in extending typical computer peripherals such as keyboard/mouse and printer with full operational functionality using a radio transmission based on 802.11a, b, g, n and Extreme USB technologies.
A solution for accessing the computer and powering devices in remote locations where running wires is undesirable, the cable-free extension solution transmits data at speeds up to 54 Mbps, providing an alternative to wired solutions.
The product requires no installation of USB drivers so the set-up is simplified, requiring a short cable connection of the sender to the computer, and the wireless 4-port hub/receiver to the extended USB devices. A wireless transmission between sender and receiver replaces the cables of yesterday; 5v power supplies drive local and remote operation.
The Gefen Wireless USB Extender works well for cross-platform computer systems including Mac OSX, Windows XP, Windows VISTA and Linux.
• Provides the freedom to operate up to four USB 2.0 peripherals away from the USB source
• Extends any USB device up to 100 feet away from the USB source
• Saves space on your desktop
• Supports both low and hi-speed USB peripherals (1.1 and 2.0)
• Supports PC platforms XP, Vista, Unix, Linux and Mac OSX
• Eliminates computer noise in the work area
• USB speeds up to 54Mbps
• USB Connections: USB type A
• 2x Power Supply 5V DC
• Power Consumption: 10 watts (max)
• Dimensions (Sender): 4.33″W x 1.10″H x 2.72″D
• Dimensions (Receiver): 4.33″W x 1.10″H x 2.72″D
• Shipping Weight: 4 lbs.
The MSRP is US$399.
More information here.