Apple today unveiled Logic Studio, a comprehensive suite of professional tools that gives musicians everything they need to create, produce and perform in the studio and on the stage for US$499. Logic Studio features Logic Pro 8, a major upgrade that combines an intuitive new interface with Logic’s renowned sound quality and rock-solid timing, and introduces MainStage, an innovative new live performance application that turns the Mac into a streamlined live rig. Logic Studio also includes Soundtrack Pro 2, Apple’s professional audio post production software; Studio Instruments, made up of 40 pristine quality instruments; Studio Effects, with 80 professional effect plug-ins; a vast Studio Sound Library; and a powerful set of production utilities.
“From the fun and intuitive GarageBand to the all new Logic Studio, there’s never been a better time to be a musician on the Mac,” said Rob Schoeben, Apple’s vice president of Applications Product Marketing, in the press release. “For less than $500, Logic Studio transforms the Mac into the most powerful musical instrument in the world.”
At the heart of Logic Studio is Logic Pro 8, now with an intuitive single-window interface for instant access to powerful music creation and production functions, including snap-to-transient selection and sample accurate editing directly in the Arrange window. New audio production tools such as Quick Swipe Comping and dynamic channel strip creation speed up common tasks. Logic Pro 8 also includes end-to-end surround production capabilities with innovative surround panning controls, multichannel tracks and busses, and support for True Surround software instruments and effects.
MainStage turns the Mac into a powerful live performance rig that produces reliable, consistent sound—whether music is being made at home, in a rehearsal space, or in front of an audience. Screen controls link software plug-ins to hardware knobs, faders and buttons, so musicians can use their favorite gear while performing live. An easy-to-read interactive display, designed for distant viewing in dim light, shows exactly the information needed on stage. Professional templates simplify set-up giving musicians more time to explore and create their own unique sounds.
Soundtrack Pro 2 is the musician’s bridge to sound for picture with professional editing tools and seamless film and video integration that simplifies every aspect of the audio post production process. Musicians can compose their score in Logic Pro 8 then use Soundtrack Pro 2 to edit dialog, design sound effects and complete the mix in cinematic sound.
Studio Instruments with 40 instrument plug-ins enable musicians to access and play almost any sound imaginable, including enhanced versions of Ultrabeat, Sculpture and ES2 synthesizers, and the EXS24 sampler. Studio Effects include a new Delay Designer plug-in that offers in-depth control over individual delay taps, and Space Designer, now with True Surround enhancements for multichannel audio processing. Logic Studio gives musicians a vast Studio Sound Library, featuring content from the five Jam Pack® collections and Final Cut Studio 2, for a total of 18,000 Apple Loops, 1,300 EXS instruments and 5,000 sound effects that span a huge variety of genres and styles. Production utilities include WaveBurner for CD mastering, Compressor 3 for surround encoding, an Apple Loops utility and a new Impulse Response utility for capturing the acoustics of real performance spaces.
Logic Studio is now available for a suggested retail price of US$499 through the Apple Store, Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. Registered Logic Pro 7 users can upgrade to Logic Studio for $199. Customers who purchased Logic Pro 7 on or after August 1, 2007 are eligible for a free upgrade to Logic Studio ($9.95 shipping & handling).
Logic Studio System Requirements:
Minimum requirements to install all applications:
• Mac computer with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor (PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo, or Intel Xeon processor highly recommended)
• 1GB of RAM (2GB or more highly recommended)
• Display with 1024-by-768 resolution (1280-by-800 or higher recommended)
• Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
• QuickTime 7.2 or later
• DVD drive for installation
• PCI Express, ExpressCard/34, USB, or FireWire based audio interface recommended
Additional recommendations for Logic Pro:
• At least 2GB of RAM for large EXS instruments
• USB musical keyboard (or suitable MIDI keyboard and interface) for instruments
• Logic Node requires a Mac computer with a PowerPC G5, Intel Core, or Intel Xeon processor and Gigabit Ethernet
Additional recommendations for MainStage:
• At least 2GB of RAM for large EXS instruments
• USB musical keyboard, control surface, or guitar pedal board (or suitable MIDI control device and interface)
• Standard graphics card in any Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, iMac with Intel Core Duo, Power Mac G5, or iMac G5
Surround requirements for Logic Pro and Soundtrack Pro:
• Mac computer with dual PowerPC G5 processors or an Intel Core Duo or Xeon processor
• Multichannel audio interface
Available disk space:
• 7GB to install all applications and required content
• Additional 39GB to install all optional content (large content packages can be installed on separate disk):
– 10GB for Jam Pack collections
– 16GB for sound effects
– 6GB for surround music beds
– 7GB for other optional content
• DVD containing Logic Pro 8, MainStage, Soundtrack Pro 2, Studio Instruments, Studio Effects, WaveBurner 1.5, Compressor 3, Impulse Response Utility, Apple Loops Utility, QuickTime 7 Pro, and required content
• Six content DVDs containing Jam Pack collections, sound effects, surround music beds, EXS24 samples, and impulse response files
• Demo content DVD
• Printed and electronic documentation
More information on Logic Studio including a list of certified, compatible hardware and software, can be found here.