Apple CEO Steve Jobs calls Q2 a ‘blowout,’ says ‘Mac is clearly gaining market share’

Apple Store“Apple Inc. surpassed even the most optimistic forecasts for its usually tepid second quarter, delivering an 88 percent increase in profit on strong sales of Macintosh computers and iPod music players,” Laurie J. Flynn reports for The New York Times.

“The company said on Wednesday that its profit rose to $770 million from $410 million in the comparable quarter last year. Apple sold 1.5 million Macs in the quarter, a record for the company [for fiscal 2nd quarter],” Flynn reports.

“In an interview, Steven P. Jobs, Apple’s chief executive, called the quarter a ‘blowout,’ and noted that the strong sales and market share gains came even though the company had not made any major upgrades to its lines of portable and desktop computers,” Flynn reports.

“Apple’s strength was particularly notable in that it came during the quarter in which Microsoft finally released the long-awaited Vista version of its Windows operating system, an event that the PC industry was counting on to spur a wave of computer upgrades,” Flynn reports. “Mr. Jobs noted that Dell had recently returned an earlier version of Windows to its product line, which he said was an indication that demand for Vista had not been overwhelming.”

‘“They’re defying the laws of gravity when it comes to profitability,” said Eugene A. Munster, an analyst at Piper Jaffray,” Flynn reports. “Mr. Munster said the appeal of the Macintosh was clearly expanding beyond its traditional niche. ‘There’s a global shift in how people see personal computers — for entertainment, creativity and good looks,’ Mr. Munster said. ‘Apple has found that sweet spot, and with almost no competition.’”

“Apple said Mac sales accounted for 56 percent of revenue during the second quarter, with music-related products, including iPods and iTunes sales accounting for the other 44 percent,” Flynn reports.

Full article here.

46 Comments

  1. “……..Apple has found that sweet spot, and with almost no competition…….”

    That happened after Gil Amelio and the beige – boxes .. It’s just taken the “anal-ysts” this long to notice !

  2. The full article requires one to sign in to the NY Times site.

    It is a free subscription. If you don’t want to sign up, you can probably find an account to use on one of those websites dedicated to sharing logins for such sites.

  3. “…i’m one of the ones adding to the switcher list, couldn’t wait any longer, and i’ve been pleased with every minute of it…..”

    Welcome to the fold, pyeman .. I think you’ll enjoy computing without the hassles you left behind ! ..
    Despite some of the rants by certain individuals .. Here (at MDN ) is a good place to hang out !!
    Looking foreward to hear about your transition from the Dark Side ” width=”19″ height=”19″ alt=”LOL” style=”border:0;” />

  4. Dearest Michael;

    It is with the sincerest amount of affection as well as the greatest appreciation and admiration for a technology industry peer that I want t-

    Hey, waitaminute! You’re not my peer. So in that case . . .

    SCREW!!!

    Sincerely,

    Steven P. Jobs

  5. “For future reference, spelling the word license correctly will look better on your memos.

    -SJ”

    Thank you teacher, I learn so much just by being in your presence !
    Besides, you must know how well this Microsoft Spell Check works !
    ” width=”19″ height=”19″ alt=”LOL” style=”border:0;” />

Reader Feedback

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.