“Apple’s Mac operating system market share is up 35 percent year-over-year from October 2005 to October 2006. Data rounded to the nearest whole percent, actual rise is 34.6 percent,” Switch To A Mac reports.

Key Percent Increases
• Up 52.8 percent since January 2005
• Up 48.0 percent since April 2005 (Mac OS X Tiger launched April 29, 2005)
• Up 23.8 percent January to October 2006 – despite Intel transition
• Up 10.4 percent since September 2006
• Up 20.3 percent since August 2006

The October 2006 Key Percentages outpaced the growth reported for September 2006 which was as follows:
• Up 38.4 percent since January 2005
• Up 34.0 percent since April 2005 (Mac OS X Tiger launched April 29, 2005)
• Up 12.1 percent January to September 2006
• Up 9.0 percent since August 2006

Included in the full article is an updated view of Apple’s Mac OS market share month by month for calender year 2006 up to and including October 2006. Switch To A Mac writes, “Pay careful attention to the numbers because Market Share splits Mac operating system data into two groups, Mac OS and MacIntel. MacIntel represents Intel builds of Mac OS X Tiger. Have a look at the October 2006 data. Mac OS is reported to have 4.09 percent of the operating system share while MacIntel is reported to have 1.12 percent operating system market share. When the numbers are combined, we get 5.21 percent.”

Full article with more detail and graphs here.

MacDailyNews Note: These results are from Net Applications.com’s Market Share which collects data from the browsers of site visitors to their exclusive on demand network of small to medium enterprise live stats customers. The sample size for these sites is more than 40,000 URLs and growing. The information published is an aggregate of the data from this network of hosted website statistics. Other recent market share measures by Gartner and IDC pegged Q3 2006 U.S. Mac share of the PC market at 6.1% and 5.8%, up from 4.6% and 4.8% in Q2 2006, respectively.

Related MacDailyNews articles:
Analyst: Apple has ‘real shot at dramatically expanding Macintosh market share’ – October 31, 2006
Analyst: Apple Mac gains market share, the reason why is significant – October 26, 2006
IDC: Apple Mac attained 5.8% of U.S. market share in Q3 06 – October 18, 2006
Gartner: Apple Mac grabbed 6.1% of U.S. market share in Q3 06 – October 18, 2006
Apple Q4 earnings results: $546M net profit on $4.84B revenue, sold 1.61M Macs, 8.729M iPods – October 18, 2006
Gartner: Apple Mac grabbed 4.6% U.S. market share in Q2 06 – July 19, 2006
IDC: Apple Mac attained 4.8% U.S. market share in Q2 06 – July 19, 2006