“Apple computers still offer a safe refuge for users looking to evade the onslaught of online threats, security vendor Sophos advised in a Security Threat Management Report,” Tom Sanders reports for vnunet.com.
“The first malware for Apple OS X surfaced earlier this year, but the operating system has stood its ground, Sophos claims,” Sanders reports. “OS X malware ‘has not spread in the wild and not heralded an avalanche of new malicious code for Apple’s operating system,’ the security report stated.”
“The security vendor was less optimistic about the forthcoming Windows Vista,” Sanders reports. “Malware writers will have to reassess their techniques because of changes in the operating system, but that will not stop them from targeting the software. ‘It may just be a matter of time before the bad guys learn enough about Vista to build rootkits or other malware with the equivalent degree of stealth capability,’ said Sophos.”
Full article here.
MacDailyNews Take: Windows Vista malware may be a matter of time? Hackers already targeting viruses for Microsoft’s Windows Vista – August 04, 2005
• Introducing the super-fast, blogging, podcasting, do-everything-out-of-the-box MacBook. Starting at just $1099.
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
Related MacDailyNews articles:
McAfee expects 400,000 viruses by 2008 – July 06, 2006
Sophos Security: Dump Windows, Get a Mac – July 05, 2006
16-percent of computer users are unaffected by viruses, malware because they use Apple Macs – June 15, 2005
Apple: ‘Get a Mac. Say ‘Buh-Bye’ to viruses’ – June 01, 2006
Apple Macs and viruses: Fact vs. FUD – May 26, 2006
Mossberg: Is there a virus threat for Apple Macs? – May 11, 2006
ZDNet: How many Mac OS X users affected by the last 100 viruses? None, zero, not one, not ever – August 18, 2005
Hackers already targeting viruses for Microsoft’s Windows Vista – August 04, 2005
Intel CEO Otellini: If you want security now, buy a Macintosh instead of a Wintel PC – May 25, 2005
Defending Windows over Mac a sign of mental illness – December 20, 2003