Joel Santo Domingo has compiled a “Top Ten” list of things to know about Intel’s new Core 2 Duo processors for PC Magazine:
1. Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme will be the fastest processors available
2. Core 2 Duo overtakes the Pentium as the name in processors
3. Intel has created one unified Core architecture for all categories (desktop, notebooks, workstation/servers)
4. All three variations (Conroe, Merom, and Woodcrest) are more efficient
5. Due to better performance per watt, systems will be quieter
6. Core 2 Duo can currently drop right into some current Pentium D/EE (LGA775) motherboards
7. With Core 2 Duo’s virtualization technology, one physical PC can be several virtual systems
8. All Core 2 Duo systems will have TPM (Trusted Platform Module)
9. Processors code names came from towns and locales nearby to where they were designed: Conroe (Texas), Woodcrest (California), and Merom (ancient lake in Israel).
10. Coming to a personal computer near you in late July/early August.
More detail in the full article here.
[UPDATE: 10:14am EDT: Changed wording of #9 due to sporadic ridicule below.]
• Introducing the super-fast, blogging, podcasting, do-everything-out-of-the-box MacBook. Starting at just $1099.
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
RUMOR: Apple to unveil ‘Mac Pro’ with new enclosure design, Intel Core 2 Duo at WWDC next month – July 03, 2006
Intel officially releases Xeon ‘Woodcrest’ processor – June 27, 2006
Patent hints Apple may incorporate Intel’s ‘unified desktop interface’ in Mac OS X Leopard – June 22, 2006
Intel’s next-gen Conroe, Merom processors to be dubbed ‘Core 2 Duo’ – May 07, 2006
Intel gets aggressive on next-gen rollout schedules: Merom MacBook Pros, Conroe Power Macs, more – May 03, 2006
Intel showcases next-gen multi-core ‘Conroe’ processors, may turn up in future Apple Power Macs – March 07, 2006