“What would happen to the arguably most iconic and hip consumer products company if the charismatic and intricate design aficionado Steve Jobs stepped down as CEO of Apple Computer? With longtime nemesis Bill Gates announcing last week that he’ll be stepping down from day-to-day operations at Microsoft in 2008, that leaves the door open for Jobs to do the same — if he’s ready,” Brian White writes for Blogging Stocks in his article entitled “Steve Jobs: when will you follow Bill Gates’ lead?”
MacDailyNews Note: Steve Jobs has never followed Bill Gates’ lead in anything, so why would he magically start now?
White continues, “Both in their 50s, Jobs and Gates have one of the most unique and fiercely competitive rivalries in business history. While Gates chose to license his company’s flagship computer operating system over 20 years ago, Jobs has been incredibly determined to keep control over the Apple universe for as long as he’s been leading the company which he co-founded. Both approaches, by any measure, have been successful, although Microsoft gets more attention. Or is that Apple?”
“Jobs’ fascination and greedy control on ensuring Apple completely dominates the end-to-end consumer solution — which is not a bad thing in many cases for simplicity alone — could come to and end once he leaves Apple. But then again, he’s probably loading the Apple management team with folks that share his zany — but ultimately and incredibly successful — management and product philosophy,” White writes.
Full article here.
The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) also tackled the “what happens when Steve Jobs steps down” question by asking their readers’ opinions here.
Of course, our own SteveJack tackled this question way back in August 2003 with his ominously-titled article, “What happens when Steve Jobs dies?” When Jobs exits — hopefully via retirement, not death — Jonathan Ive, will be Apple’s next CEO SteveJack wrote then and still believes today.
Full article here.
• Introducing the super-fast, blogging, podcasting, do-everything-out-of-the-box MacBook. Starting at just $1099.
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
What happens when Steve Jobs dies? – August 20, 2003