“Apple CEO Steve Jobs has long had a thing for India… Yet he is also a tough-minded executive who knows when to cut and run. That’s why Apple Computer Inc. has shelved plans to build a sprawling technical support center in Bangalore, even as IBM and other tech powers are ramping up. Just three months back, Apple appeared to be on the same trajectory, and there was talk of the company hiring 3,000 workers by 2007 to handle support for Macintosh computers and other Apple gear. Many in India even speculated that Jobs might travel there this year to publicize Apple’s commitment to the country,” Manjeet Kripalani and Peter Burrows report for BusinessWeek.
“It wasn’t meant to be. In late May, Apple dismissed most of the 30 new hires at its subsidiary in Bangalore. (A handful working in sales and marketing will stay on.) Spokesman Steve Dowling would say only that Apple had ‘reevaluated our plans’ and decided to provide support from other countries,” Kripalani and Burrows report. “Another source familiar with the situation, though, says the decision was cost-driven. ‘India isn’t as inexpensive as it used to be,’ the source says. ‘The turnover is high, and the competition for good people is strong.’ Apple feels it ‘can do [such work] more efficiently elsewhere.'”
Full article here.
• Introducing the super-fast, blogging, podcasting, do-everything-out-of-the-box MacBook. Starting at just $1099.
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
Apple pulls planned support center out of Bangalore, India – June 05, 2006
Apple CEO Steve Jobs postpones Bangalore visit until September – April 04, 2006
Apple says Bangalore facility won’t cause any existing American job cuts – March 17, 2006
Apple to send Jobs to Bangalore in April – Tuesday, March 14, 2006
Apple to hire 3,000 for massive technical support facility in Bangalore by 2007 – March 09, 2006