“Plans for a sleek-looking Apple Computer store in a Northwest Portland historic district received an icy reception on Monday from the city’s Historic Landmarks Commission, whose chairman criticized it as ‘franchise architecture.’ A two-hour hearing over the proposed two-story glass and limestone box at 423 N.W. 23rd Ave. ended without a formal vote when the building’s architect asked to come back at a July 10 meeting,” Fred Leeson reports for The Oregonian. “It wasn’t immediately clear whether Jeff Stuhr, a Portland architect, plans to present revised plans or whether Apple will drop the project. The company does not comment on its retail store plans.”
“Since an advisory meeting with the commission last August, Stuhr added more windows to the design and changed the exterior skin from stainless steel to limestone. Two commission members appeared to reject the whole scheme, while others on the six-member panel suggested more windows and awnings.Apple has opened approximately 130 retail stores around the world in recent years, almost all reflecting modernistic boxy designs with illuminated white Apple signs fitting flush to the exteriors,” Leeson reports. “The proposed Northwest Portland store sits in the Alphabet Historic District of Northwest Portland. It would replace a 1960s-era building that is not considered historic.”
“If Apple decides to press on with the same or a similar modernistic design, a rejection by the landmarks commission could be appealed to the City Council,” Leeson reports.
Full article here.
[Thanks to MacDailyNews Reader “Dan” for the heads up.]
• Introducing the super-fast, blogging, podcasting, do-everything-out-of-the-box MacBook. Starting at just $1099.
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
Five foot tall Apple logo sign could be issue for Apple Retail Store in Portland, Oregon – April 13, 2006