“Here is a list of problems I find the most annoying about Apple’s Mac/MacOS,” Thom Holwerda writes for OSNews.com.
1. Mac OS X does not exactly feel fast.
2. Mac OS X is an inconsistent mess.
3. The annoying Google search field in Safari.
4. Tiger suffers from screen remnants.
5. Macs need an indicator LED for HDD activity.
6. Mail.app is a pointless email client.
7. The evil Mac OS X dock is a UI nightmare.
8. Mac OS X needs a decent uninstaller, supplied with the OS.
9. Apple needs to put more effort into backwards compatibility.
Full article here.
MacDailyNews Take: If you read Thom Holwerda’s bio, you’ll know that he’s approaching the Mac from an outsiders’ mentality. Currently Holwerda owns two x86 boxes, one Dell laptop and a SPARC machine. Isn’t it interesting how different the lists of “Mac annoyances” look depending upon who wrote them? As Mac users from 1984, we agree only with #1, unless you’re using Mac OS X on an Intel Core Duo or a Power Mac G5 Quad, and then we don’t agree. Remember, we’re comparing the “snappiness” of the OS with Mac OS 9. Holwerda is comparing it to other OSes, but we still reach the same conclusion. We’re not seeing #4 anymore with Mac OS X 10.4.6 for Intel although we have seen it to varying degrees with past versions of Tiger on PowerPC-based Macs. Let us know what you find annoying about Macs and Mac OS X. Let us know how long you’ve been using Macs and if you started with Macs or came to them from another platform. Those factors seem to make all the difference to the content of the lists.
• Introducing the super-fast, blogging, podcasting, do-everything-out-of-the-box MacBook. Starting at just $1099
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.