“Faithful Macenstein reader rico sent us a posting on the Taiwanese forum Oikos discussing the results of replacing an Intel Mac mini’s standard Core Duo chip with a Core 2 Duo chip (the 2.16GHz Merom T740),” Helper Monkey reports for Macenstein. “After a quick Babelfish “Traditional Chinese-to-English” translation, we can see why he was so excited!”
“While the Mini does not recognize that its brain has been replaced by a Core 2 Duo chip (it lists itself as simply having a ‘genuine Intel CPU’) the benchmarks certainly don’t lie,” Mr. Monkey reports. “In the past upgrading Apple CPUs has been limited by the heat generated when placing faster chips in computers not capable of cooling them down. But since this generation Core 2 Duo chips actually generate LESS heat than the current generation, upgrading these new Intel Macs may be the easiest CPU upgrade in Apple’s history.”
Full article with benchmarks here.
[Thanks to MacDailyNews Reader “Jeremy” for the heads up.]
“The Merom is expected to be released in late 2006, along with its siblings, the Conroe desktop CPU and the Woodcrest server CPU. Doubtless the Conroe will sit at the heart of the upcoming Intel-based Power Macs while, down the road, the Merom will replace the Core Duo as the MacBook Pro’s processor,” Mac on Intel reported in mid-April. “This upgrade should also work fine on the Intel-based iMac, which has a socketed CPU like the mini. The MacBook Pro’s CPU is suface mounted, unable to be swapped out. For owners of Intel-based Macs with socketed CPUs, quite an upgrade path has been revealed, one most did not anticipate.”
Full article here.
• Introducing the super-fast, blogging, podcasting, do-everything-out-of-the-box MacBook. Starting at just $1099
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
User sucessfully replaces Apple iMac’s stock 1.83 GHz processor with 2GHz Intel Core Duo – February 01, 2006