PC World today announced the winners of its annual World Class Awards. The “100 Best Products of 2006” in the July issue features the finest products and services of the past 12 months, from antispyware utilities to wireless broadband technology, from Adobe Photoshop CS2 to Z-Wave. The issue will be on newsstands June 13, and the article is now available at http://find.pcworld.com/53822
This year’s list of World Class winners contains a wide range of products and services for work, home, and everywhere in between. The editors’ picks reflect the ever-changing world of technology, with revolutionary products in various categories, such as remote access software, power notebook computers, portable hard drives, home-theater receivers, and online bargain trackers. The 2006 Product of the Year is the Intel Core Duo, a Notebook/Desktop CPU. Editors noted that it ” …provides multitasking power never before possible on a portable PC … The Core Duo processor is so good that it’s the CPU of choice not only for Windows laptops but also for Apple’s Windows-capable laptop and desktop Macs.”
PC World editors also selected “Top Companies of the Year” in various categories: Web Company of the Year: Yahoo!; Software Company of the Year: Adobe; Worst Company of the Year: Sony; and Hardware Company of the Year: Apple.
With a huge RD budget and a single-minded despot running the show, Apple once again introduced products that made everyone else look bad. iPods (#36) that play video have created a new market for reruns, Core Duo-based Macs (#35) have expanded the market for Intel chips, and Boot Camp software (#10) has opened the door to running Windows on the Mac hardware. We continue to hope that some of the Cupertino crowd’s design ideas will trickle down to the rest of the tech industry.
Also included in the article is “The 25 Worst Tech Products of All Time” (http://find.pcworld.com/53824). In addition, site visitors can view two streaming videos narrated by staff editors with more information on the “Best Products of the Year” and the “Worst Products of the Year.”
A new component to the 2006 World Class Awards article is a live online chat hosted by PC World Senior Writer Alan Stafford. The interactive discussion will answer questions about the featured products and how they were rated, all in real-time. The event will take place on June 6, 2006 at 4pm/Pacific. Interested participants can sign-up here: http://find.pcworld.com/53808
Transcripts will be available on PCWorld.com post-chat.
The complete list of ranked winners follows; editors made their selections based on exemplary design, features, performance, innovation, and price. The honorees were selected after editors reviewed hundreds of products, including those that have appeared in the magazine over the last year.
Selected 2006 PC World World Class Award Winners include:
1. Intel – NOTEBOOK/DESKTOP CPU: Intel Core Duo
4. Apple – DIGITAL AUDIO PLAYER: Apple iPod nano
6. Google – SATELLITE IMAGERY: Google Earth
9. YouTube – VIDEO-SHARING SITE: YouTube.com
10. Apple – MAC DUAL-BOOTER: Apple Boot Camp
12. Mozilla – WEB BROWSER: Mozilla Firefox 1.5
13. Weblogs – GADGET BLOG: Engadget.com
16. NVIDIA – GRAPHICS CARD CHIP SET: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
17. Google – SEARCH ENGINE: Google
22. Adobe – IMAGE EDITOR: Adobe Photoshop CS2
28. Mozilla – E-MAIL APPLICATION: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5
31. TiVo – DIGITAL VIDEO RECORDER: TiVo
35. Apple – VALUE DESKTOP COMPUTER: Apple Mac mini
36. Apple – DIGITAL AUDIO/VIDEO PLAYER: Apple iPod
43. Apple – DIGITAL AUDIO SOFTWARE: Apple iTunes
46. Creative Technology – DIGITAL AUDIO/VIDEO PLAYER: Creative ZEN Vision:M
47. Google – DESKTOP SEARCH: Google Desktop
48. Opera Software – BROWSER: Opera 9.0 (Beta)
69. RealNetworks – ONLINE MUSIC: Rhapsody
78. Yahoo! – PHOTO-SHARING SITE: Flickr
82. EvDO – WIRELESS BROADBAND: EvDO
86. Salling Software – PRESENTATION REMOTE: Salling Clicker 3
90. iRiver – DIGITAL AUDIO/VIDEO PLAYER: iRiver Clix
92. NVIDIA – GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX
98. Mozdev.org – FIREFOX EXTENSION: Greasemonkey
99. NewsGator – RSS READER: NewsGator FeedDemon 2.0
Full article with complete list of winners here.
• Introducing the super-fast, blogging, podcasting, do-everything-out-of-the-box MacBook. Starting at just $1099
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.