PC Magazine’s Brian Bennett offers a basic top ten Q&A for those who still have questions about switching to an Intel-based Mac.
1. Should I buy a Mac-Intel PC now or wait until new systems running the new OS X 10.5 (code named Leopard)?
2. Can I run Windows and Mac OS simultaneously toggling between the two?
3. Can I play my favorite Windows games, like Doom3, on a Mac? What other games can I play?
4. At home, I have two Windows PCs networked via WiFi. How difficult will it be to add the Mac-Intel into the mix? Will I be able to share files between my Windows PCs and my Mac-Intel whether it’s running Windows OS or Mac OS?
5. Can I still use my old printer/scanner/wireless router or do I need to invest in a device?
6. I do a great deal of work in Photoshop, and heard it runs slower on a Mac-Intel computer. Is this true?
7. Will I be able to see my IE bookmarks in both Mac OS and Windows OS?
8. Does it slow the computer down to have both OS’s open?
9. Is the Mac surround sound interface compatible consumer electronic devices such as home theater receivers? I have a nice 5.1 living room speaker set up already.
10. Can I boot Mac OS X on a PC?
Full article here.
MacDailyNews Note: One quick note for question #2, “Can I run Windows and Mac OS simultaneously toggling between the two?” Although Bennett doesn’t mention it in his answer (he does later in question 8), you can do this with Parallels Workstation (US$$39.99): http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/
[UPDATE: 10:08am EDT: Added mention that Bennett writes about Parallels later in his list of questions.]
• Introducing the super-fast, blogging, podcasting, do-everything-out-of-the-box MacBook. Starting at just $1099
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.