Apple “is offering three versions of the new MacBook, all of which contain a 13-inch display. A white version is available with either a 1.83 gigahertz (GHz) processor or a 2.0 GHz processor, while another 2.0 GHz version is available in black. The new MacBooks are about one-inch thin, which Apple said is 20 percent thinner than its previous versions. The company claims the MacBooks are up to five times faster than the iBook,” Amanda Cantrell reports for CNNMoney.
“Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster noted that the new MacBook costs 10 percent more than its predecessor, the iBook, a change he had not anticipated. ‘Apple’s view on pricing is to gain the most market share at optimal profitability,’ Munster wrote in a note to clients. Munster said it appears the MacBook will sell strongly in the June quarter, as it appears Apple built up a supply before announcing the new computer,” Cantrell reports. “He said the New York City Apple store said it had ‘a fair amount’ of MacBooks for sale Tuesday, and that another store had “a few” that came in Monday night — about eight weeks earlier in the product cycle than when stores received the MacBook Pro, Munster noted.”
Cantrell reports, “Apple also announced it has increased processor speeds on both models of the 15-inch MacBook Pro, which it launched in February, at no additional cost. The $2,499 model now includes a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo processor, up from 2.0 GHz, and the $1,999 model now includes a 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo processor, up from 1.83 GHz.”
Full article here.
MacDailyNews Take: We think that some people will be surprised at how well Apple does with the new MacBook, especially the black MacBooks that retails for US$150 more than an identically configured white MacBook. We believe that many will choose pay that extra $150 for the black MacBook.
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
Close-up Apple MacBook photos (keyboard, glossy screen, and more) – May 16, 2006
Apple debuts new 13.3-inch widescreen MacBook; replaces both iBook and 12-inch PowerBook – May 16, 2006
Analyst: Apple Macs cost less than most people think – May 16, 2006
Apple quietly boosts MacBook Pro speeds – May 16, 2006