“Intel Corp. on Monday plans to unveil a single brand name for a new generation of chips for laptop PCs and desktop machines, calling them the Core 2 Duo,” The Associated Press reports. “Core 2 Duo will phase out the Pentium 4 brand for desktop processors and the Core Duo for laptop chips. The older brands were based on two different designs. The chips, code-named Conroe for desktops and Merom for laptops, are scheduled to start shipping in the third quarter… Intel also plans to announce it will name a high-performance processor for computer gamers the Core 2 Extreme.”
Full article here.
“Customers will be able to distinguish the CPUs by their sequence numbers. Intel did not announce those numbers, but sources told TG Daily that the mobile chip will be offered as T5000 (2 MB L2 cache) and T7000 (4 MB L2 cache) series, while the desktop version will be named E4000 (FSB800) and E6000 (FSB1066) series. The letters in the sequence number indicate the thermal design power (TDP) of the processor: ‘T’ is used for a range of 25 to 49 watts and ‘E’ for 50 watts or greater,” TG Daily reports. “Intel did not announce the clock speeds of the new Core Duo processors. Reliable sources, however, informed us that Core 2 Duo T will be available from 1.83 to 2.33 GHz and Core 2 Duo E from 1.6 to 2.66 GHz at launch. The desktop family will also get a high-end “Extreme” version, which is rumored to come with a clock speed of 3.33 GHz and a 1333 MHz front side bus… Intel now confirmed that Conroe will be shipping for revenue in July and Merom in August. If Intel is able to keep the pace of its traditional time-to-market tracks, then we should be seeing first Conroe systems in early September and Merom notebooks no later than in October of this year. “Woodcrest” the server version of the Merom core is expected to launch slightly ahead of Conroe and will be named Xeon 5100 series.”
Full article here.
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.