“Not to worry, the Mac OS X “look & feel” is going to stay. So is compatibility with existing Mac OS X app’s. What is going away is the XNU or “Darwin” kernel, based on Mach + BSD Unix 4.0,” “Sharp” writes for osViews. “Instead, the Mac OS X API’s will be a Runtime Layer atop the Windows Vista. Security, stability, and POSIX compatibility are all supposed to be hallmarks of the upcoming Vista. Though how *nix-friendly it will be remains to be seen… evidently, [Apple is] looking to Vista to be the underpinnings of the continued ‘Mac look & feel’ and allow their userbase to run ALL Mac OS X app’s as well as ALL Windows app’s natively. Sounds good on paper, but I’m nervous about the unknown implications.”
“Sharp” writes, “It could work, but it feels like Genesis after Peter Gabriel. Still a band making songs, just not the tunes that originally made you a fan. This is the ‘Phil Colins era’ of the Macintosh.”
Full article, including illustrations, here.
MacDailyNews Take: First Dvorak, then Enderle, and now “Sharp.” Granted, not the best of company, but the drumbeat grows louder for dropping the current Mac OS X kernel in favor of Microsoft’s Windows Vista’s kernel. And, Dvorak actually did sort of get the whole Intel-based Mac thing right long before it was announced. So, what do you think? Do you want a Mac that’s based on Microsoft’s Windows Vista kernel?
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
Enderle: Apple as Windows OEM – April 10, 2006
Dvorak: Will Apple ditch Mac OS X for Microsoft’s Windows? – February 16, 2006