“Phillip Swann says the video iPod is a bust because he says so. Huh? The publisher of TVPredictions.com e-mails that ‘Apple’s portable video device generates slow sales and widespread complaints.’ His source turns out to be himself. He cites an article published by Newsday, critical of the video iPod, almost solely due to quotes by Swann,” Frank Barnako reports for MarketWatch. “He says that while Apple sold 15 million videos in four months, ‘that’s not many.’ Again, Swann says so.
“‘A lot of people … have been using [the videos] on [personal computers] and laptops and not even using the video iPods,’ he said. ‘Apple-watch Web sites … have been whispering’ that the next video iPod would have a bigger screen, he noted. Well, ‘I predicted six months ago … it would be a disaster.’ I have nothing against Swann, other than that his Web site is blatantly self-promotional. (“Mr. Swann is available for speeches, editorial projects, consulting work and media interviews.”) It’s just that telling a reporter something for which you cite no evidence, and persuading a reporter write it, doesn’t make it fact,” Barnako reports.
Full article, with interesting info about ABC-TV’s Net strategy having some troubles, here.
MacDailyNews Take: Swanni must be looking for hits to his website again. He’s a real piece of work. Swanni’s kind of like Rob Enderle, only not as sharp. We’ve taken him apart in the past (see related articles below), but thanks to Mr. Barnako, we’re happy that we don’t have to bother with Swanni’s stuff today.
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
TV analyst blows it, says Apple’s 12 million video downloads ‘a big disappointment’ – February 08, 2006
TV analyst’s uninformed prediction: ‘video iPod will be Steve Jobs’ folly’ – October 12, 2005