“A laptop for $48? The answer is yes – and we’re talking more than 30,000 of them. They are the laptops acquired through the Maine Learning Technology Initiative, a program that gained national attention for distributing Apple iBooks to all of the state’s seventh- and eighth-grade public school students,” Colin Hickey reports for The Blethen Maine News Service. “Now, four years later, the state has paid off most of the cost of those first laptops and plans to distribute a new set this fall. To own the old ones outright, however, individual schools will have to pay the balance, hence the $48 laptop. Most schools are choosing to pay the price to keep the laptops, although they have no obligation to do so, said Heather Hamlin of the Maine Learning Technology Initiative.”
Full article here.
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
State of Maine awards middle school contract to Apple Computer for 34,000 iBooks – March 21, 2006
Maine looks to continue statewide 34,000 Apple iBooks in middle schools program – December 28, 2005
Should Maine’s 38,000 Apple iBooks in schools program be renewed? – October 10, 2005
Maine’s statewide Apple iBook program could offer insights for Massachusetts program – September 30, 2005
Long-term cost of Maine’s Apple iBooks for public schools estimated at $28 million per year – August 11, 2004
Maine orders up 6,000 Apple iBooks for public high schools – August 06, 2004
Maine’s Apple iBook program draws international attention – March 11, 2003