“Apple Computer has filed patents for a ‘smart’ touch-screen virtual keyboard, a two-way screen and technology that enables an iPod and host device to wirelessly operate as one,” Candace Lombardi reports for CNET. “One recently published patent covers a new method for ‘activating virtual keys of a touch-screen virtual keyboard.’ The virtual keyboard learns which keys are touched more often than others and adjusts the sensitivity of each key accordingly. Certain keys are given more weight over others, depending on the likelihood of the person pressing one key over another.”
“Another patent essentially turns an iPod (referred to as a ‘personal media device’ within the patent) into a remote control for another host device such as a TV or computer. The host device can be used as a monitor that reflects what is happening on the iPod screen,” Lombardi reports. “The patent also says that the technology enables wireless transfer of digital media between the two devices.”
Full article here.
[Thanks to MacDailyNews Readers “kevin” and “glacy” for the heads up.]
MacDailyNews Take: It’s a veritable patent-fest so far in 2006 for Apple.
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
Apple ‘digital media’ patent application hints at iTunes Movie Store – April 27, 2006
Apple patent shows LCD display that simultaneously takes pictures while showing images – April 26, 2006
Apple employees file for ‘wide touchpad and keyboard’ patent – March 02, 2006
Apple patent application for ‘Visual expander’ for touchscreen display revealed – February 06, 2006
Apple applies for more touch-sensitive display tablet patents – February 03, 2006
New Apple patents reveal portable tablet device, tablet video game application – January 27, 2006