“With a solid array of components, a terrific set of features, and the lightest weight of any laptop its size, the 17-inch MacBook Pro is a power user’s dream; its base price is also much higher than the 17-inch PC competition’s,” Justin Jaffe writes for ZDNet. “With roughly the same specs as the 15.4-inch model, we can already predict much about how the 17-inch MacBook Pro will perform. The Intel Core Duo processor should deliver performance that’s on a par with the fastest PC laptops, and we can expect the ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 GPU to handle graphics better than the PowerBooks’ ever did.”
“The base configuration of the 17-inch MacBook Pro costs AU$4,599 (US$2799) — the same as the 15.4-inch model when configured with a 2.16GHz processor. We still think that’s a tad expensive, but it’s definitely a better deal than the 17-inch PowerBook G4 was,” Jaffe writes.
Full article here.
MacDailyNews Take: Please name the “17-inch PC competition” that can run Mac OS X and Windows and tell us how much that’s worth. [crickets chirping contentedly] Hello? Failing that, please regale us with the similarly-equipped “17-inch PC competition” which is priced much lower than Apple’s 17-inch MacBook Pro.
Macintosh. You get what you pay for (and more).
• Get the new iMac with Intel Core Duo for as low as $31 A MONTH with Free shipping!
• Get the MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo for as low as $47 A MONTH with Free Shipping!
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
Related MacDailyNews articles:
Confused columnist on Apple’s 17″ MacBook Pro: ‘you can get a couple of decent Dells’ for that price – April 26, 2006
Apple introduces 17-inch MacBook Pro with 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo – April 24, 2006
Dude, you got a Dell? What are you, stupid? Only Apple Macs run both Mac OS X and Windows! – April 05, 2006