“Despite Apple’s historic disdain for Microsoft’s Windows operating system, Apple’s Boot Camp software lets Windows applications run just as well on a Mac as they do on a PC, performance tests confirm. According to tests carried out by CNET product reviewers, a MacBook Pro and iMac running Intel’s Core Duo processor and Windows XP delivers equal performance to similarly configured PCs designed to run Windows. On Wednesday, Apple released a beta version of Boot Camp, an application that lets Mac users run the Windows XP operating system on their Macs,” Tom Krazit reports for CNET.
“While the results may seem obvious given that the systems had similar configurations, they help answer some of the questions raised by consumers or businesses thinking about running Windows on a Mac when Apple releases a new operating system with Boot Camp integrated later this year,” Krazit reports. “Apple wants Windows users to fall in love with the Mac OS, and the best way to do that is to remove any objections to a dual-boot Mac, said Sam Bhavnani, an analyst at Current Analysis. If an Apple system running Windows wasn’t as good as a comparable Windows system from another PC vendor, some people wouldn’t want to take the plunge, he said.”
Full article here.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
Mossberg tests Apple’s Boot Camp: Windows runs ‘blazingly fast,’ Windows apps run ‘flawlessly’ – April 05, 2006
Gearlog: Apple Macs are very fast Windows PCs – March 22, 2006
Intel-based Apple Mac runs Windows XP ‘fast, extremely well’ – March 16, 2006