“It’s almost official — Apple Computer will re-brand its iBook consumer notebooks under the ‘MacBook’ moniker when it releases new models based on Intel Corp.’s Core Duo processors later this month,” Kasper Jade reports for AppleInsider. “The new portables, targeted at the consumer and education markets, will represent the most redesigned notebooks to emerge from Apple’s famed industrial design studios in several years, sources have said. True to speculation and hints offered by the company through recent trademark filings, Apple will call the notebooks MacBooks rather than iBooks. Well-placed sources say the company has already started to prepare marketing materials that bear the MacBook product name.”
“Each MacBook is expected to pack at least a 1.67GHz Core Duo chip. The notebooks will be available in several configurations, each built around a vibrant 13-inch widescreen display. Like Apple’s MacBook Pro professional notebooks, the new consumer MacBooks are expected to sport a built-in iSight video camera, a MagSafe power adaptor and come bundled with Apple’s Front Row and Photo Booth software applications… Alongside the MacBook, Apple is also expected to unveil its flagship 17-inch MacBook Pro professional notebook, which has also recently been finalized,” Jade reports.
Full article here.
“Apple has begun manufacturing its new MacBook and should have the laptop in consumer hands in the next 30-60 days, sources report. The MacBook—and it will indeed be called the MacBook, sources have confirmed, as Apple will be dropping the iBook moniker—is being built exclusively around a 13.3-inch widescreen display with a 1280×720 WXGA resolution, as previously reported,” Ryan Katz reports for Think Secret.
MacDailyNews Note: “iBook” to become “MacBook?” You read it here first: RUMOR: Apple iBook to become ‘MacBook’ while ‘MacBook Pro’ will offer more screen size choices soon – January 11, 2006. Oh yeah, we call first dibs on the 17-inch MacBook Pro!
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
Report: Apple 13.3-inch widescreen Intel-based ‘iBooks’ due in June – April 04, 2006
Apple trademark filing suggests ‘iBook’ to be rebranded ‘MacBook’ – March 06, 2006
Analyst: Apple to unveil Intel-based iBooks, ‘real’ video iPod at special event in April – February 09, 2006
Report: more Apple MacBook Pro models coming, iBook may be re-branded ‘MacBook’ – January 12, 2006
RUMOR: Apple iBook to become ‘MacBook’ while ‘MacBook Pro’ will offer more screen size choices soon – January 11, 2006