Apple today announced Apple Remote Desktop 3, the third generation of Apple’s award-winning desktop management software. Building on Mac OS X version 10.4 “Tiger” innovations such as Spotlight, Dashboard and Automator, Apple Remote Desktop 3 is a Universal application optimized to take advantage of the power of Intel-based Macs with more than 50 new features that deliver improvements in software distribution, asset management and remote assistance.
“With Apple Remote Desktop 3, we’ve delivered powerful innovations that make it even easier and more affordable to manage Macs,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing in the press release. “Great new features such as remote Spotlight searching and customized Automator actions take advantage of innovations in Tiger and make Apple Remote Desktop 3 a valuable tool for anyone managing more than one Mac.”
Apple Remote Desktop 3 offers a wide range of high performance desktop management features including lightning-fast Spotlight searches across multiple Tiger systems; over 30 Automator actions for easily automating repetitive system administration tasks; a Dashboard Widget that provides quick and convenient observation of remote systems; and AutoInstall for installing software automatically on mobile systems when they return online.
Other new features in Apple Remote Desktop 3 include:
• System Status Indicators that let administrators quickly check the overall health of multiple systems at a glance
• Power Copy files up to 11 times faster than with Apple Remote Desktop 2 (Based on network copy performance using 1000Base-T and Power Macs with dual processor G5 2.5 GHz CPUs, 2GB of RAM and running Mac OS X version 10.4.3.)
• Remote Drag and Drop files and folders between local and remote computers
• Remote Copy and Paste for simple transfer of text and images between local and remote computers
• Persistent Task History and Task Templates to make it easy to save and replicate repetitive tasks
• Curtain Mode to hide the desktop of a system while it is being controlled remotely
• Application Usage and User History Reports to track software compliance and monitor the use of unauthorized applications
• Smart Computer Lists for dynamically managing systems based on specified criteria
• AES 128-bit encryption for secure communications between Apple Remote Desktop 3 and clients.
Apple Remote Desktop 3 is available immediately through The Apple Store, Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of US$299 for managing up to 10 systems and $499 for managing an unlimited number of systems. Special education pricing can be found at Apple’s Education Store.
The administration and client system for Apple Remote Desktop 3 is designed to run on any computer running Mac OS X v10.3.9 or later. An Ethernet (recommended), IP over FireWire or AirPort network connection is required.
Find out more about Apple Remote Desktop 3 here: http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.