“When Apple CEO Steve Jobs introduced the new iPod Hi-Fi on Feb. 28 by saying ‘I’m an audiophile. I’ve had stereos costing — well, I won’t say — but a lot, [and] I’m actually getting rid of my stereo,’ he offended the tender sensibilities of audiophiles worldwide. To disappointed, tech-oriented ‘gadget-geeks,’ the iPod Hi-Fi appeared to be nothing more than a bulky, white boom box — and at $349, an expensive one,” Michael Fremer, Stereophile senior contributing editor, writes for The Record.
“Serial ‘Apple haters’ gleefully dismiss it as a new ‘white elephant,’ and the beginning of the end of Apple’s innovative reign. But make no mistake: This device produces glorious sound. The iPod Hi-Fi no more replaces an expensive home stereo system than the Bose Wave Radio ‘fills a room with concert hall sound,’ but Steve Jobs is to be forgiven for being enthusiastic about the iPod Hi-Fi’s sonic performance,” Fremer writes. “The dual-ported box, fitted with a robust 5-inch woofer, outputs surprisingly deep, supple, musical bass. A pair of rich-sounding 3-inch midrange tweeters deftly integrate with the woofer to deliver the rest of the music with equally smooth composure.”
“Unlike its smaller, perhaps more stylish competition, the iPod Hi-Fi doesn’t suffer from ‘boom/tizz syndrome,’ and driven by powerful digital amplification it can play loud and fill a relatively large room without sounding strained or compressed,” Fremer writes. “Like any piece of purpose-driven audio gear, the proof is in the listening. So go listen!”
Full article here.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
Fortune: Apple’s iPod Hi-Fi delivers ‘big sound from a small package’ – March 22, 2006
Pioneer Press: Apple’s iPod Hi-Fi ‘sets a new standard, the iPod speaker setup to beat’ – March 18, 2006
Consumer Reports: iPod Hi-Fi ‘mildly disappointing’ – March 17, 2006
Chicago Tribune writer: ‘Don’t be duped’ by Apple’s iPod Hi-Fi – March 13, 2006
Time Magazine’s Gadget of the Week: Apple iPod Hi-Fi – March 13, 2006
CNET: Apple iPod Hi-Fi is a ‘box of delights’ – March 09, 2006
Detroit Free Press: Apple’s new iPod Hi-Fi delivers ‘powerful, room-filling sound; mighty tempting’ – March 07, 2006
PC Magazine Editor’s Choice: Apple iPod Hi-Fi ‘this one’s a winner’ (4.5 stars out of 5) – March 04, 2006
Review: Apple iPod Hi-Fi – March 03, 2006
The Inquirer reports on attack of Apple cultists, blames MacDailyNews for inciting ’email fatwa’ – March 03, 2006
CSFB: Apple iPod Hi-Fi a harbinger of things to come – March 02, 2006
Inquirer writer: Apple Mac, iPod users are gullible saps – March 02, 2006
Apple iPod Hi-Fi photos from all angles – March 01, 2006
Videos of Steve Jobs introducing Mac mini, iPod Hi-Fi – March 01, 2006
Apple debuts iPod Hi-Fi speaker system, leather cases for 5G iPod, iPod nano – February 28, 2006