“New research carried out by the independent research provider, Generator, illustrates that Apple’s iPod business, already a global hit, could soon put second-tier mobile phone makers in the shade. ‘A lot of people don’t realise that Apple’s iPod business is already bigger than Sony Ericsson. What’s more, Apple is the market leader in a growth market while Sony Ericsson is a second-tier player in a mature industry,’ explains Andrew Sheehy, Research Director at Generator. Apple’s scale now means that the company can negotiate deals with suppliers of miniature cameras, video recorders and wireless modems – items normally used in mobile phones – that are competitive with what many mobile handset makers can secure,” Business Wire reports.
“Although Wi-Fi modems could be used instead, the report explains that the best way to implement a WiPod would be via wholesale data agreements with one mobile operator in each iTunes market. Apart from being able to take pictures and shoot movies with their WiPod, users could wirelessly publish their self-generated digital content on iTunes. ‘The mobile content side is interesting but you could also offer knock-out voice service with this approach – Apple could offer free WiPod to WiPod calls, using a Skype-like software application. A lot of people in the mobile industry will be worried when this starts happening,’ cautions Sheehy.”
Full article (free registration required) here.
An in-depth explanation of the business opportunity for the WiPod, complete with a market forecast and other information and analysis related to Apple and the digital music market can be found at: http://www.generator-solutions.com/wipod.htm
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.