“Like a lot of sysadmins, I had a series of scripts and procedures that I used to set up a new machine for a user. They did the job, and well, so I had pooh-poohed the Migration Assistant until this week when I was doing a group of machine upgrades and decided to give it a try. I had already run all the current updates on the boxes, (Quad G5s for our designers), and joined them to our Open Directory domain,” John Welch writes for Datamation.
“I was so very, very wrong about Migration Assistant. It’s far better than any script I could have come up with. You take the old Mac, put it into Target Disk Mode, hook a Firewire cable between them and run Migration Assistant. It lets you pick which users you want to move over. That’s fantastic for pruning old local accounts. It also moves over all applications, user data and even user account records that aren’t already on the new machines. It all just works,” Welch writes. “The biggest thing you have to watch for is if you have multiple system drives. Migration Assistant is only going to use the first disk on the main ATA bus that it finds. If you’re booting from the second disk, it won’t find it. But that’s it, and that’s easily worked around …it was absolutely problem free. I started it when the designers went home, and by the next morning, it was finished, and they were ready to go. The Apple folks did a good job working on this one.”
Full article here.
Find out more about Apple Mac OS X’s Migration Assistant here.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.