“I was one of the most skeptical when it came to [Apple’s new Intel-based Mac mini] playing back 1080p h.264 video. Well, the proof is in… i just did it,” writes a long time MacDailyNews reader who wishes to remain anonymous.
The Mac mini’s “About This Mac” dialog box:
Mission: Impossible III trailer screenshot (24 fps.):
Superman Returns 1080p, 24 fps. This is looking good:
The anonymous MDN reader explains, “One thing that is for sure – it is working HARD to do this… its not just lollygagin’ thru it…. check out the CPU-o-Meters… Trying the XMen 3 trailer at the part where its going from scene to scene to scene in rapid succession – this should choke it… Nope. it does it fine.”
Anon concludes, “It passes. It’s working hard, but it passes. The Mac mini dual core – even with only 512 megs of ram and NO dedicated video ram or separate video card CAN decode and playback 1080p mpeg-4/avc (h.264) 24pfs footage without losing frames.”
• Apple’s new Mac mini. Intel Core, up to 4 times faster. Starting at just $599. Free shipping.
• Apple’s brand new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Home stereo. Reinvented. Available now for $349 with free shipping.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.