“Apple Computer, for the second time in less than two years, appears to have scrapped plans to include a built-in iPod dock with some of its forthcoming Mac mini desktop computers,” Kasper Jade and Katie Marsal report for AppleInsider. “According to reports from multiple contacts, including some with ties to the Mac maker’s component suppliers, initial plans for the first Intel-based Mac mini computers called for some models to include a built-in docking station for the company’s iPod digital music players. The dock connector, which was rumored to be located at the top of the computer, would effectively turn each Mac mini into an oversized docking station for iPods featuring the company’s proprietary dock-connector. Apple originally planned to add the dock only to its top-of-the-line Mac mini model, which it currently sells for $699, people often familiar with the company’s pre-production computer plans said. The feature was scrapped for unknown reasons just weeks before the new computers are slated to hit production in the Far East, these people added.”
“Like Apple’s forthcoming line of Intel-based iBook computers, it’s expected that new Mac minis will come bundled with Apple’s Front Row media software, a 1.67GHz Intel Core Solo processor and 512MB of standard DDR2 system memory. A low-end model should continue to sell for sub-$500, while a version with more hard disk space and DVD-burning capabilities should fetch a bit more,” Jade and Marsal report. “The computers are rumored to hit the manufacturing lines in the next few weeks and make their official debut within a month thereafter.”
More details in the full article here.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iMac and MacBook Pro owners: Apple USB Modem. Easily connect to the Internet using dial-up service. Only $49.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
Was the Mac Mini originally intended to sport an integrated iPod Dock? – March 01, 2005