“This spring Apple is expected to roll-out the a new series of iBook consumer laptops built around a 13-inch widescreen display. The new models will sport the first major design revision to the iBook in several years and come bundled with both Front Row and the Apple Remote, people familiar with the company’s plans tell AppleInsider. Like Apple’s new iMac Core Duo and MacBook Pro computers, the new iBooks will also feature a built-in iSight video cam and come bundled with the company’s Photo Booth software, these people say,” Kasper Jade reports for AppleInsider.
“Although processor specifications for the upcoming iBook series remain largely unconfirmed, it’s only logical to assume the laptops will be powered by Intel’s 1.67GHz Core Solo processor — the only processor on the chip maker’s roadmap suited for a laptop that is neither equal to, nor greater than, the Core Duo chips used in Apple’s MacBook Pro laptops,” Jade reports. “iBook’s industrial design is expected remain similar to the current models. One person who claims to have caught a glimpse of the nearly-finalized prototype describes it as a slightly-smaller cousin to the recently introduced MacBook Pro, but clad in iMac white. Meanwhile, rumors that Apple’s Intel-based iBooks would arrive without support for FireWire are untrue, this person said. The new models are said to retain a single FireWire 400 port in addition to two USB 2.0 ports.”
According to AppleInsider, the new consumer portable Macs will be available in at least two retail configurations: one with a SuperDrive and the other without. “The latter model will fall within the sub-$1000 range currently occupied by the 12-inch PowerPC-based 1.33GHz iBook… It remains unknown whether Apple will re-brand the iBook under new name like it recently did with the PowerBook line,” Jade reports.
Full article here.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iMac and MacBook Pro owners: Apple USB Modem. Easily connect to the Internet using dial-up service. $49.00.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.
Related MacDailyNews articles:
Report: more Apple MacBook Pro models coming, iBook may be re-branded ‘MacBook’ – January 12, 2006
RUMOR: Apple iBook to become ‘MacBook’ while ‘MacBook Pro’ will offer more screen size choices soon – January 11, 2006