The persistent rumors floating around Macworld Expo are very simple, but still contain information of interest and might help clarify some questions:
1. “MacBook” replaces both “PowerBook” and “iBook.” The “MacBook Pro” will replace the “PowerBook” when it is discontinued (it’s still being sold by Apple) and “MacBook” will replace “iBook” (which is also still being sold).
2. At least two MacBook Pro models are coming “soon,” but weren’t ready to be presented. A smaller screen compact portable MacBook Pro and at least one larger screen MacBook Pro will round out the model line.
3. The Mac mini with new features, software and a whole lot of other surprises are due to be delivered consistently throughout the year via special media events and regular Apple events.
Those are the three main rumors that we feel confident enough to report as “rumors.” However, they are rumors, so please take them with a grain of salt.
• MacBook Pro. The first Mac notebook built upon Intel Core Duo with iLife ’06, Front Row and built-in iSight. Starting at $1999. Free shipping.
• iMac. Twice as amazing — Intel Core Duo, iLife ’06, Front Row media experience, Apple Remote, built-in iSight. Starting at $1299. Free shipping.
• iPod Radio Remote. Listen to FM radio on your iPod and control everything with a convenient wired remote. Just $49.
• iPod. 15,000 songs. 25,000 photos. 150 hours of video. The new iPod. 30GB and 60GB models start at just $299. Free shipping.
• Connect iPod to your television set with the iPod AV Cable. Just $19.